Birding Costa Rica
Dec 3-10, 2022
- Pace - Active, early mornings, a few long travel days
- 8 days/ 7 nights
- Scheduled dates: 2022: Dec 3-10 - FULL, ask about waitlist
- Price: $2995 per person in double occupancy
- Download detailed itinerary
Costa Rica is perfect for a new birder wanting to dip their toes into the tropics as a lot can be seen in a short time in a small area. But also for experienced birders looking to add to a list.
Although the country is small, about the size of West Virginia, it proudly shelters 5% of the existing biodiversity in the entire world, and more than 25% of the country is protected as natural areas and national parks. Almost 850 species of birds are seen in Costa Rica, more than in all of North America. We have chosen these December dates to take advantage of the transition of wet to dry season and of course migration.
And we’ll make it easy on you by offering a single lodge for the tour, after a first night near San Jose airport. Located in the cloud forest of Costa Rica about 2-3 hours west of the capital, Rancho Naturalista, one of the best birding lodges in all of Central America, has over 400 bird species on their 120 acres with an extensive trail system. Rancho Naturalista is more than just a beautiful lodge set in the verdant Caribbean rainforest of Costa Rica. They are known for the many beautiful species of birds that live in the forest reserve. The Rancho consists of over 120 acres and connects with adjacent forested properties creating a large protected area of the Caribbean pre-montane rainforest. There is an extensive trail system of 4-5 miles, which ranges in elevation from 2800 to 4000 feet. These trails cross through a combination of advanced secondary and primary forest as well as an orchard containing many native fruiting trees highly attractive to birds and other wildlife.
From the Rancho, we’ll do day trips to other reserves and habitats, returning each night to the comfortable lodge.
- Accommodations: All nice hotels or lodges, private bath with hot water
- Included: 7 nights hotel, taxes, local transportation within country, entry fees, meals as listed, tips for meals & driver, local bi-lingual bird guide, escorted by JB Journeys Eric Stager
- Not included: International airfare, insurance, personal items, alcoholic drinks, hotel or guides tips
- Bring: Binoculars, flashlight and/or headlamp, rain gear, warmer layers for the cloud forest, Ziplock bags to keep things dry, Water bottle, Day pack or fanny pack. Your guides will have spotting scopes. More info once registered.